Oct 10, 2009

Finishing Up the "23 Things"

Between studying for Comps, keeping up with homework, and working on a big project for work, I managed to squeeze in some time to check out the rest of the "23 Things."  Here is my final evaluation.

The "23 Things" really opened my eyes to how information is evolving in format and in use.  Social networking is changing how we form and maintain relationships.  A person can create a blog with a main focus.  They can connect their Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr accounts to it so people who read their blog, people who they may have never met if it wasn't for the blog, can communicate with them and follow them to see what they are up to. 

People can now collaborate and communicate from a distance with tools like wikis and GoogleDocs.  These tools allow for people to meet and work on projects without having to meet face to face.  Students and workers alike can utilize these tools to cut down on travel time and to get projects accomplished.

Speaking of students, they can now utilize tools such as Facebook, podcasts, Flickr, PictureTrail, and Flicks to enrich their presentations.  Digital media is allowing for students to take information they are learning in their classes and share that information in new and creative ways. 

Libraries are getting in on the action too!  By utilizing such services as LibraryThing and social tagging in their catalogs, libraries are allowing their users to make and share their own connections through literature as well as providing a service that will help their library users find not only the information they are looking for but new and relevant information they did not know about but may need.

With my focus in library school being Young Adult Services, I couldn't help but enjoy reading about libraries and gaming.  This is a big draw for teens when libraries hold gaming nights.  My library does it and I think it's a great idea!  It gets teens in the door.  Then it's the librarian's job to show them what their library has to offer.  Not too mention all the Guitar Hero you get to play for free!!!  (on a sad note, I recently came across an article that stated one of my state senators was trying to cut funding for gaming in libraries because it was "unneccessary and a waste of money."  I wonder if he ever used the library as a teen, yet alone now as a senator and grown man...)

I've personally found del.icio.us to be a very helpful service because it allows me to collect helpful articles I come across through my research.  I have them all in one place and can share them and find more through this service!

All in all, I really enjoyed my journey through the "23 Things."  I think that when used with a purpose, they can make life a lot less complicated and projects a lot more interesting looking!  However, I think we, as users, need to discuss and contemplate the implications using these services brings.  What of privacy and confidentiality?  How will that effect a library's policies and procedures regarding Facebook, YouTube, and Flickr?  How can we fund gaming in the library when budget cuts are hanging over our heads?  I think these are great tools that when used for individual use, need to be used carefully and with a purpose.  However, when being used by a library, careful consideration and development of policies need to be addressed before implementation.

And that's my thoughts on "23 Things!"  Back to studying for Comps!

No comments:

Post a Comment